Thursday, November 8, 2007

Emergancy Surgery re-scheduled for tomorrow

September 18, 2007
Many of you know this and many are hearing this for the first time, the babies are suffering from something called TTTS (twin to twin transfusion syndrome) Which means the bigger of the twins is taking all of the nutrients. Last week the dr. did a minimally invasive proceedure that seemed to be working. Unfortunately, we found out today that Nathaniel, the larger of the twins has a thick heart wall, twice as thick as it was last week. The dr. has said that, for either of the babies to survive, they are going to have to do a more invasive surgery. It is scheduled for 6:00 tomorrow morning.

They are going to have to cauterize the blood vessels that the two babies are sharing to try to stop the TTTS. This has so many implications. If Aidan (the smaller twin) has less than 20% of the blood vessels, he isn't going to survive if they go through with the surgery. But, if they don't do it, neither twin will survive. Nathaniel's heart walls will continue to thicken and he'll go into heart failure.

The surgery is being done at Children's. After recovery, I will be transfered to University Hospital for observation. The surgery has a 20% chance of causing labor. The twins are at 25 weeks gestation.

Once allowed home, I will be on bedrest until delivery. I'll be allowed to come downstairs when I get up in the morning and stay there until I go to bed at night. I can get something to eat only when I am up to use the bathroom.

Many people keep asking what I need. It is not me that needs anything, it is my babies and my family that need prayers. That is what I need.

No comments: